Saturday 14 May 2011

Chicken Soup

We had roasted chicken and veggies for supper last night so I decided I would make chicken broth and then chicken soup. I have a new found love for soup.  I think it is because I am getting frugal in my old age and would rather spend hours boiling bones and then scraping fat off the top of homemade broth than being wasteful, throwing out the bones and then buying Campbell's Chicken Stock at $2.99 a box (though I do enjoy the Campbell's as well, I'm just cheap).

So, I dug out some veggies.


And diced them up.

I used the same knife to chop all of the veggies (carrots, celery, onion, green onion, garlic) and it probably wasn't a "chopping knife" to begin with.  J nearly has a stroke when I do this.  He thinks certain things should be cut with certain knives.  He is probably right but I just grab something that cuts.  Maybe  I will learn more about appropriate cutting instruments as I continue on my culinary adventures, but probably not.


Who knew chopped veggies could look so lovely!



Lila helped.  She loves to watch me cook.  She can be fussing or crying and if I say something along the lines of "We need to stir the (insert food related word here) she stops and becomes mesmerized by the mixing of various textures and colors. I think I'm either creating an artist, a chef or just a regular old food addict (lie her Mom!).  She likes to munch while she watches so I peeled some carrot (after it was washed and already peeled once, so no dirt).

We washed the veggies.

Threw them in a big pot with some olive oil and simmered for a few minutes to soften them up a bit.


Added the leftover chicken (white and dark meat).


Then added the broth.


Simmered on medium heat for about 45 minutes or so and served!


J was working late but Lila and I enjoyed the soup and I'm sure we will continue to enjoy it for the next few days.  Perhaps some of this will make it to the freezer for future meals as well!




No comments:

Post a Comment