Wednesday, 15 June 2011

The day I should have stayed in bed....

It is raining, again.

I woke up around 6:00am to the sound of retching.  No, not J and his post-nasal drip (eew) but the dog. On our bed. Throwing up.  Gross.

So I climbed out of bed, stripped it down and threw the sheets and duvet in the washing machine. I put the dog out, waited for her to eat some grass to completely clean out her system and then let her in. I promptly climbed back into bed, got all snuggled in, relaxed and Lila woke up.  So we were up for the day.

Lila hadn't slept well the night before.  She has teeth coming in I think.  But I have been saying that for months and she still doesn't have any teeth pushed through yet.  So we started out the day early and cranky.

I decided that I was going to make some mini muffins for Miss Lila.  I am finding it hard to get lunch for her when we go out.  When we were just nursing it was easy because the milk was always with us, one of the MANY benefits of breast feeding.  However, now that I am giving Lila three meals a day in addition to her nursing sessions I have to be able to take easy finger foods with me when we go out during the day.

I did some google searching and found a recipe for carrot and cranberry muffins. I found this recipe and decided to make these (I used half as much sugar as the recipe called for), mostly because they have yogurt in them which is my new favorite ingredient in baked goods.  I decided that I would make my life easier by using our Magic Bullet to blend up the carrots instead of grating them by hand.  But I forgot that our Magic Bullet never works like I want it to. I also didn't realize that Lila would be completely terrified of the noise.  So I threw the carrots in and attempted to shred them up.  Attempted.  What I ended up with was carrot mush with huge chunks.  After about 30 minutes of alternately grinding carrots and soothing Lila I ended up with very smushy carrot puree with chunks in it.  I gave up and threw it in the muffin batter anyway.  So I ended up with cranberry and carrot chunk muffins.  Lila doesn't seem to care though and she has devoured a bunch of these little delights, chunky or not.

To make myself feel better I decided to make some Big Chocolate Chip Cookies (my favorite recipe so far).  I of course proceeded to burn 3/4 of them.

So Lila and I retired to the living room to relax after cleaning up the kitchen.  Bailey (our dog) was feeling much better by then and decided she was ready to play.  I have been on a de-cluttering spree and have been packing up stuff to put in storage or give away to the church yard sale.  I had filled a big box with mugs that we never use that were just taking up precious real estate in our kitchen.  I had placed said box near the top of our stairs for J to take down to the crawl space when he got home.  Clearly I wasn't thinking or maybe the exhaustion from no sleep and getting up early had gotten to me, or maybe it was the frustration with the muffins and cookies but I took Bailey's toy that she was persistently pressing into my lap and threw it for all I was worth.

I heard the claws on the box first, then the slide and then smash, smash, smash, all the way to the bottom of the stairs.  I jumped up to look.  Poor Bailey stood at the bottom of the stairs surrounded by shards of glass and mug handles with her toy in her mouth. She had managed to break every single mug in the box.

I assisted Bailey in navigating the glass mine field and we snuggled up on the sofa for the rest of the day (30 minutes) until J came home to rescue my sanity.

Thank you for listening to the story of the day I should have stayed in bed.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment